AstroPay is a prepaid card option offered by only a select few betting sites. You can buy the card anywhere in the world as long as you’re 18 years or older but it’s particularly popular in Brazil.
Below we’ll show you where AstroPay is accepted for online betting and explain just how the prepaid card service works along with it’s advantages and disadvantages as a deposit option.
Best Astropay Betting Sites: Top 3
The following is a list of the best sites for betting with Astropay:
*Info accurate as of 01-06-2020 for European market.
Deposits & Withdrawals: Limits & Times
What is AstroPay?
AstroPay is a prepaid card designed for making purchases online. You can use it at websites that are affiliated with the company. The card is available to buy to anyone around the globe, aged 18 or over. It’s accepted as a payment method by thousands of websites, from many different countries.
How Do You Buy An Astropay Card?
Exactly how you can buy an AstroPay card differs according to where you live. The company was initially aimed at the Latin American market. It’s easier to buy an AstroPay card in nations in that part of the world than elsewhere.
In countries like Colombia, Mexico, and Brazil you can buy an AstroPay card via bank transfer. Elsewhere in the world, your options for buying a prepaid card are more limited. When you buy it, you choose a prepay amount for the card, and pay for it there and then. You then receive the details of your AstroPay card.
Do I Get An Actual Card?
You don’t actually get a physical card, you get the details you need to enter online to use it for a purchase. Those details are the card’s 16-digit number, its CVV, and its expiry date. The expiry date will always be exactly one year from the date you bought it.
Can I Use My Card More Than Once?
Each card is usable any number of times you like, until you’ve spent the entire prepay amount you loaded it with. Cards are not re-loadable. When you’ve spent the full amount that you loaded onto the card, you need to buy a new AstroPay card. You’ll have to use that one for subsequent purchases.
How to Use AstroPay for Online Gambling
Using AstroPay to make a betting deposit is just like using the prepaid card to make any online purchase. All you have to do is to follow these steps:
- Go to the AstroPay website, and head to the page where you can buy new cards.
- Choose your country of residence when prompted. You’ll then see the payment methods available to you.
- Select your chosen payment method and the amount you wish to load your AstroPay card with. Buy the card.
- You’ll then receive all of the details of your card (number, CVV, expiry date).
- Head to your chosen betting site, login, and visit the ‘Deposit’ area of your account.
- Choose ‘AstroPay’ from the list of available deposit options.
- Enter the amount you wish to deposit and all of your AstroPay card details when prompted.
- Once you’ve confirmed the deposit, your chosen funds will appear in your betting account.
Withdrawing: AstroPay is a prepaid card. Like all prepaid cards, you can’t withdraw funds back to it from a betting account. Or from anywhere else. As such, if you wish to make a withdrawal, you’ll need to set up a second payment method for your betting account.
Fees Associated with AstroPay
One of the best things about AstroPay is that there are no fees associated with its use. You buy a prepaid card for your chosen amount, and that amount is what you have available to deposit. There is no premium or added charge attached to buying the card.
Betting sites that accept AstroPay also don’t charge you for using the deposit method. Where it’s available, you can fund your account with it without any extra fee being applied. You will, however, always need to set up a different method for withdrawals. Some of those methods may have charges attached.
Advantages & Disadvantages
There are pros and cons to using any different payment method. AstroPay is no different, and its main benefits and drawbacks are as follows:
- There are no fees involved at any stage of the process of using AstroPay for deposits.
- You never have to give betting sites any financial information to make AstroPay deposits.
- There’s a buffer between your bank account and your betting account. Details of betting sites will never appear on your bank statement if you deposit via AstroPay.
- Outside of Latin America, it’s trickier to buy an AstroPay card. In the UK, you can only buy one via Neteller or with certain types of cryptocurrency.
- Not all major betting sites accept AstroPay. Many that do, only make the method available to residents of certain nations (usually in Latin America).
- You can never withdraw funds via AstroPay. You’ll always have to set up a second payment method to get at your winnings.
AstroPay was first founded around a decade ago. In its earliest years, the prepaid card company focussed solely on Latin America. There, cards can be bought via direct bank transfer, as well as in person at certain retailers.
By 2017, AstroPay had become the fastest growing payment provider in Latin America. The company had also started to extend its global reach. Today, you can buy an AstroPay card from almost anywhere in the world, and in almost any currency. In many nations outside the card’s traditional heartlands, though, only a few payment methods are accepted.