Boku is one of the newest betting deposit options and provides a means of funding online betting accounts using your mobile phone.
On this page you can find out which betting sites accept Boku as a deposit method, what Boku is all about and whether using your phone bill to deposit is a good option for online betting.
Best Online Bookmakers Accepting Boku
Quick Note: Neteller & Boku
Some punters indirectly use Boku to deposit by first funding a Neteller e-wallet via the mobile payment service. That opens up the option of depositing to a wider range of bookmakers (more accept Neteller than Boku) but there is a fee applied to funding a Neteller e-wallet via Boku. The exact size of that fee will depend on the currency of your Neteller account and other related factors.
You can use Neteller at the following sites:
*Info accurate as of 16-01-2019 for the UK market.
Boku facilitates payments without the need to supply bank, card or other financial details.
Available to anyone with a mobile phone contract.
Supported by majory phone operators & increasing number of betting sites.
Transactions costs via Boku are added to a customer’s next monthly mobile phone bill.
Step By Step Deposit Guide
As we mentioned at the very start of the page, online bookmakers and betting sites are now starting to offer Boku as a deposit method. If you’re chosen site does offer the alternative, you can deposit quickly and easily via Boku by following these steps:
- Head to your chosen online betting site (assuming it offers Boku as a deposit option) and log in to your account.
- Select ‘Deposit’ from the main menu or head to the deposit section of the site in the same way as you would when depositing by any other method.
- Choose ‘Boku’ or ‘Via Mobile’ from the site’s list of available deposit methods.
- Enter the amount you wish to deposit and your mobile number into the relevant dialogue boxes which will appear.
- Select ‘Confirm’ or ‘Deposit’.
- You will then almost immediately receive a text to your mobile phone. The text will either require you to reply or will give you a code to verify your identity.
- Once you have verified your identity, your chosen amount will appear in your online betting account.
- The value of your deposit will be added to your next monthly mobile phone bill.
Is Boku a Good Option for Online Betting?
In order to assess whether Boku is a good option for online betting, we better first lay out exactly what Boku is and how it works as a deposit method. It is what is known as either a mobile payment platform or a carrier billing service.
What that means in essence is that it is a way of making an online transaction using your mobile phone number rather than a debit card, credit card or other more traditional means. The value of the transaction is added to your monthly mobile phone bill in the same way as a charge for a premium rate call or for the use of additional data beyond your plan would be.
Boku has only really just started to be offered by online bookmakers as a deposit option but it seems likely that it will soon become more widely available. Aside from this current lack of widespread availability, there are a handful of other important factors to consider when assessing whether Boku is a good online betting option. These are how quickly deposits can be completed, what fees are applied, how secure transactions are and how withdrawals work.
Speed of Deposit
The process of making a deposit via Boku to any one of the handful of online bookmakers which currently accept the option is attractively simple and speedy. All a punter need do is to head to the deposit section of a bookmaker’s site, select either ‘Boku’ or ‘Via Mobile’ as their deposit option and then enter their desired deposit amount and mobile phone number.
Once they’ve done that, they will be sent a text message to their phone which will allow them to verify their identity either via a special code or by sending a reply. Once that is also done, their chosen deposit amount will appear in their betting account almost instantly. From start to finish, therefore, the entire process of making a deposit via Boku will take only a couple of minutes at most. That puts it right up there with the quickest and easiest of all of the generally available deposit methods.
Depositing to an online bookmaker with Boku has the further distinct advantage of generally not being subject to any transaction fees. You can complete the above process and you will then see that the exact amount of your deposit and no more is what’s added to your next monthly mobile phone bill.
As previously mentioned if you do pay by your phone bill to Neteller and then deposit to a betting site you will be charged a fee depending on deposit amount.
Another of the major draws of using Boku to deposit to an online betting site is the fact that it allows you to do so without having to divulge any card details or other sensitive financial information. Literally all you need give to the betting site is your mobile phone number and payment for your deposit will then be made as part and parcel of your next mobile phone bill.
That, therefore, makes depositing via Boku one of the most secure payment options around and means that it’s sure to be popular with those people who like to limit how widely they share their financial details. What is also worth noting is that mobile phone payments and billing services are very heavily regulated, and there are a wide range of protections afforded to customers in the event that anything goes wrong with such payments.
If you’re on the ball when it comes to online betting and payment methods, you’re probably already thinking about how Boku could possibly work when it comes to making withdrawals. The answer is that it doesn’t, in that there is no method by which winnings or funds from an online betting account can be withdrawn using the mobile payment service.
As such, if you deposit via Boku, you will have to set up an alternative method for withdrawals such as an e-wallet service or bank transfer. That, therefore, does somewhat mitigate the benefit of not having to provide any financial or personal information to a betting site in order to deposit using Boku.
Boku Deposits: Pros and Cons
- The entire process of making a deposit to a betting site via Boku takes a maximum of just a couple of minutes.
- You can deposit to a betting site without having to trust that site with your debit or credit card details or bank account information.
- Almost across the board of the betting sites which accept Boku as a payment method, no fees are applied to deposits made using the service.
- Limits automatically placed upon Boku deposits can help you to keep a handle on how much you spend on online gambling.
- As things stand, only a handful of betting sites directly accept Boku as a deposit method. You can, however, use Boku to fund a Neteller wallet and then deposit to a greater number of sites that way.
- There is no mechanism by which you can withdraw funds from a betting site via Boku. If you do wish to withdraw, therefore, you will need to set up a separate withdrawal method.
- The limits placed upon Boku deposits can be annoying for those punters who would rather deposit and bet larger amounts.