In terms of both convenience and security when it comes to online gambling there aren’t any better choices than PayPal. It allows you to quickly and easily fund and withdraw from your account and in the process you’re protected by the many security features PayPal has to offer.
It’s without a doubt one of our favourite payment methods and you’ll be pleased to know that all the biggest and best online bookmakers are happy to accept it.
On this page we’ll walk you through everything you need to know about using PayPal and which betting sites are best for punters who prefer to use PayPal to move money in and out of their account.
PayPal Need To Knows…
- Minimum deposit using PayPal at any online bookmaker is £5 (some have £10 min)
- Deposits are instant and withdrawing back to PayPal takes around 1-3 days.
- It’s free to use – there are no payment processing fees.
- Bank statement only shows money in and out of paypal not betting account.
- Added layer of security thanks to PayPal’s transaction monitoring.
Best PayPal Betting Sites: Top 9
The following is a list of the best sites for betting with PayPal:
*Info accurate as of 28-07-2021 for the UK market.
PayPal Betting Sites Compared: Limits & Fees
|William Hill||£5||Instant||24 hours||0%|
|Paddy Power||£10||Instant||1-4 hours||0%|
How to Use PayPal: Deposits & Withdrawals
As one of the largest online payment processors, PayPal is widely accepted by online bookies, and many sites even offer a free bet bonus for punters who make their initial deposit via PayPal. Moreover, as PayPal is a fully electronic payment storage option, making a deposit to a bookmaker which accepts PayPal is extremely easy – as is making a withdrawal.
How To Deposit:
- To get started with making a deposit via PayPal, you’ll have to first set up and fund your PayPal account.
- Head to PayPal.com to open an account now.
- For greater convenience, you can verify the account with PayPal which lifts your £/$500 monthly limit (find instructions when logged in on the PayPal site.
- Now add money to your PayPal account by simply clicking the ‘Add Money’ button (when logged in). It will process the same way as any online payment.
- Next log into your chosen PayPal friendly bookmaker, select deposit and easily move funds from PayPal to your betting account.
- If you bet with PayPal all deposits process instantly.
How To Withdraw
- Log in to your betting account and hit the withdraw link.
- Select PayPal as your chosen method and enter the amount you wish to cash out.
- Confirm the transaction – most bookies process PayPal withdrawals instantly (one of the biggest perks of this option).
Why Use? Pro’s & Con’s
- Very quick and easy to deposit and withdraw from your PayPal account to a bookmaking site.
- Free to use at majority of betting sites.
- On your bank statement, the only information displayed will be your payments into, or withdrawals from your PayPal account.
- A very secure method of payment to use when making online transactions.
- Accepted by all the biggest bookmaking sites online today.
- Watch out when joining a betting site, while some bookmakers will honour welcome bonuses made using a PayPal deposit, some exclude PayPal deposits from their welcome offers.
- Rarely (very) bookmakers attach extra fee’s to Paypal transactions.
Security & Anonimity: Stay Safe With PayPal
If you’re using PayPal to process online financial transactions, then you are already in a pretty good place in terms of security. Here’s how PayPal keep you safe:
Protecting Card Information
It is always a good idea, especially for the more security-minded among us, to use a third-party payment processor for any online payment. This saves you from sharing your credit card or bank account details with a wide variety of sources, and instead means that you’re only providing the critical information to one party (in this case PayPal and not the betting site).
PayPal does recognise how critical the safety of your information truly is, and have taken all industry-standard measure to make sure that your information is locked up securely (behind their Secure Sockets Layer), and that you don’t maintain any liability should the information be compromised. If you check your address bar you’ll see we employ the same security function here on Cheeky Punter.
PayPal takes their security extremely seriously, and tends to err on the side of caution when dealing with potentially fraudulent activity. Particularly if you travel internationally, or deal with a lot of cross-border transactions, you might be see your account flagged, locked, or frozen with some regularity. This is usually sorted out with a quick call to customer service. It’s better to be safe than sorry.
Finally one of the best things about using any of the Paypal betting sites listed in our table above is the anonymity they provide you. If you deposit with Paypal then your bank statement only shows money in and out of Paypal, not a gambling operator. This is more important than you think as whenever you apply for credit, even if you’re only spending £20 a week, it’ll still flag up on many banks reports.
Paypal have a policy of never asking for account information or passwords via email so you know as soon as something lands in your inbox trying to get your details it’s a scam. If you want to report phishing just forward any email to firstname.lastname@example.org. They’ll let you know straight away if it’s fraudulent or not. Be on high alert for emails from PayPal as impersonating the company is right at the top of the list for many scammers.
PayPal is a worldwide e-commerce institution, which allows you to make online money transfers quickly and securely between your PayPal account and the accounts of thousands of merchants and banks worldwide.
The company operates by storing money drawn from your checking account, and then allowing you to send the money via online transfer to the merchant of your choosing. Payments are processed quickly, and PayPal saves you the risk of providing your financial details directly to the merchant.
How Does PayPal Work?
PayPal For Online Betting
For any readers in North America, please note that PayPal will not process payments to any gambling sites for North American customers. The only way to deposit in a account from a North American PayPal account is by first transferring your money to a third-party, such as another e-wallet.
However, for users in the UK and Europe, PayPal offer a fast, safe, and convenient way to deposit and bet online as well as a quick and easy way to withdraw your winnings.
PayPal dates to the late 1990’s and early 2000’s. Although not originally an online payment system, it slowly merged into that as the need and desire for such as system become increasingly evident.
In particular, the popularity of online auction site Ebay.com propelled PayPal into the national spotlight. Although Ebay had its own payment system, the PayPal system was more flexible, as it allowed users to move their money around more freely. As such, PayPal become the online payment option of choice for a variety of websites, Ebay included.
In 2002 it was purchased by Ebay and has been used as the official payment option for all auctions on that site. However, it has also continued to operate as an independent business, and offers customers a convenient and secure method of processing payments online to a wide variety of merchants worldwide. As such, it is an ideal option for making deposits to, and withdrawals from, online bookmakers and since PayPal started to appear the method has grown quickly in popularity to the point where some punters will only use PayPal friendly sites.
Are there any Fee's if I use PayPal?
There are two places where you could potential incur fees making a deposit using PayPal; either from the betting site, or from PayPal itself.
Fortunately, the former have eliminated processing fees so no betting site will charge you anything for using PayPal.
On the other end, PayPal does charge a wide variety of fees for performing different types of transactions. The fees you incur depend on the type of transaction, the type of account you hold with them, the type of payment option utilised, among other factors.
How long do deposits and withdrawals take?
Deposits are always processed instantly and withdrawals are often instant as well – some withdrawals can take up to 24 hours to process but it’s rare that they don’t go through straight away.
Will I get the welcome offer if I use PayPal?
Some bookmakers will and some bookmakers won’t give you a deposit bonus if you make your first deposit using PayPal. There’s nothing stopping you using an alternative method for the first ever deposit and using PayPal for everything thereafter.
Are there any other similar deposit options?
Is PayPal safe to use?
We consider PayPal to be one of the safest deposit options available to online punters. They employ all the expected security protocols for online transactions and provide an account monitoring service to ensure you haven’t been hacked or scammed.